Tuesday, December 2, 2014

About a church, dresses, hairdo’s, veils and a bit of poison.


Thank you all so much for your kind comments on the Cowl from Scraps. It is always nice to read these kind words.

It has been busy these last few days. The last gifts for December have been made; I will show and tell next week. This weekend we have been back to the town I was born and raised because of my fathers birthday. And since we were a bit early, we had time to go into town for just an hour. Not enough to have a  long walk in this beautiful and old city, but enough to go and visit a world famous book shop.

Dominikanen Maastricht

As you can see it was quite crowded, but it still looks awesome, doesn’t it. This church, Dominikaner in Maastricht, was first build in the 13th century, and during its history it has been destroyed and build again, and around 8 years ago it has been changed into this bookshop.

View from 2nd floor

The pile of books we bought was so high, that we realized it is a good thing this shop isn’t around the corner for us.

Then today we had another outing.

The Gemeentemuseum in The Hague is hosting an exhibition of the work of Mark Rothko, and at the same time an exhibition with Fashion from the Romantic period. Rothko alone is really worth going there, and I enjoyed every minute I was in these rooms with those immensly huge and very intensive paintings. I don’t have pictures for 2 reasons. First you can find them all over the web, but secondly and for me most importantly, the impact of these paintings can’t be shown in pictures. It only shows when you stand in front of them. I did hear about this effect,but never really knew what to expect. I can’t explain, but now I understand I can’t just show you some pictures. If you ever have the opportunity to go and see some of his work, I can highly recommend it. You’ll never forget.

The second exhibition wasn’t this intense; it was fun, candy for the eye.

Zaal

Entering a room like this, brings you back a few centuries. The dresses were grouped using movies and books as a guide. Wuthering Heights (Bronte sisters), Gone with the Wind, La Dame aux Camelias, Pride and Prejudice, and our Dutch protagonist, Eline Vere; they all came by and were the center of room. Because almost everyone has images of these movies and their dresses in mind, I won’t show all these dresses, but some details I was quite amazed by.

046

045

064

This last picture isn’t of an old dress; it is actually a detail of a dress worn by Cora in Downton Abbey!!

The dresses were a lot of fun, but what really caught my eye, were the pages from ladies magazines from the 19th century.

037

038

Beautiful dresses; but what do you think of pages about hairdo’s, or about how to wear a veil?

048

051

And there was a Horror Room! It appears that the substances used for dyeing, sometimes were toxic, sometimes even lethal. They even once used arsenic to obtain a special shade of green which was very fashionable.

049

On the chair you can see a dress which was actually worn by someone; now it has been decomposed quite a bit.This was one of the few rooms with a cord preventing the public from getting too close!

063

Groetjes, Dorien

3 comments:

mamasmercantile said...

What a great outing, I really enjoyed your tour.

Roberta Mendes said...

Hi, I love your craft, is beauty, I love a colors, I follow your blog, I have a blog about crochet, visit me , hugs from Brazil.
Visit my blog - Tita Carré - free patterns crochet

Maxine D said...

Thank you for sharing some of your nation, especially the gowns and fashions - I had heard about the arsenic for dying, or should that be die-ing?
i love the photos of the old church.
Blessings
Maxine